Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sorry Princess

The title of this blog is from my encounter with a construction worker earlier this week. He was carrying a big piece of lumber, and we almost bumped into each other. I apologized, and he replied, "Sorry, Princess."

Now, if people on the street think I'm a princess, do you think I can get one of those diamond tiaras I see every day as I walk to work? NB: I live in the diamond and jewelry district of London.

Anyway, this week I got to experience one of the worst things about living in London, a Tube strike. Since my parents and I grew up watching reruns of a famous British comedy, "Are You Being Served," I already knew that it wasn't uncommon for conductors to go on strike. But while hilarity always ensued onscreen, I saw it wasn't that funny waiting 45 minutes for a bus, only for it to be full when it got to your stop.

I worked from home for two days and was surprisingly productive. I also visited the Tate Modern for a little bit and discovered it's within walking distance of our flat. Thursday I went to St. Paul's and climbed to the Stone Gallery where I got the best view of the city. I also saw the tombs of Lord Nelson and the Duke of Wellington. My dad's a big fan of British naval history, and I loved seeing monuments of people about whom I've heard so much.

A friend of ours from the IDS came in town on Thursday night. On Friday we visited Abbey Road and luckily survived crossing the street multiple times to recreate the famous Beatles photo. It's such a busy intersection - I wonder how the hell George, Paul, Ringo and John managed to do it for an album cover. Seriously, it's so easy to get hit if you're not paying attention. Don't worry Mom, I'm OK.

After that we went to Brick Lane for some Indian food. It was my third time at Brick Lane, which probably has the best food in London. We also witnessed a street fight break out. After a few minutes, the police (a bobby) intervened. Crazy stuff.

After that, we split up. Jay and Elvia went to the Tate Modern, while Nick and I went to the Tower of London. We spent about 3 hours there and then decided to walk home. It only took us an hour, which I guess shows how close we live to the heart of London.

Anyway, we're heading to Oxford today. Should be interesting.

Daily superlatives:

Worst part of the day: Tube strike all week.

Best part of the day: Tube strike ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment