Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ian, it's the policeman again

The wonder of this trip hasn’t gone away.

So far classes have been good, but Monday's was probably the most fun. First off, we had a mouse in the classroom. I would’ve been more freaked out like the other girls, but fortunately I was a safe distance away from the rodent.

My allergies kicked in recently, and they didn’t go away when I visited the British Museum during our lunch break. I sneezed in the Elgin Marbles exhibit, and it carried the echo of my sneeze through the entire museum. The mummies probably heard me.

After the break, we had a guest speaker in class, James Brabazon. He’s probably one of the coolest, most inspiring journalists I’ve ever met. He was the only journalists in Liberia filming the civil war. I’ve always wanted to do international journalism, but hearing him talk about how he went to rehab after he returned is making me wonder whether I could physically handle – and survive – such a trip.

I finally visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street. I’d been once before with my parents, but as Elvia can tell you, I really love Sherlock Holmes. I’m not sure if it’s the clever plot, witty dialogue or consistent characters, but SirArthur Conan Doyle wrote some of the most thrilling detective books ever. I need to read more of his work when I get back home.

The best part of the museum was the guestbook where they keep letters people send Sherlock Holmes. There were a few asking Holmes’ help in solving their problems, but my favorite was a kid who had to write to Holmes for a school project. He’s smart enough to know Holmes is dead. “I think my teacher is loosing it,” he wrote. Adorable.

We went to see “As You Like It” at the Globe Theater. Despite the large column blocking part of my view, I still loved the performance. I haven’t read “As You Like It” but it was still hilarious. They did a group dance at the end that had everyone in tears. Side note: The actor played Oliver was also in “The History Boys.” If you’ve seen this movie, you’re my new best friend.

I only realized Monday night I’m a 20-minute walk from the Tate Modern and the Globe Theater. I’ve made a list of 20 things I have to do or see before I leave, and the Tate was one of the few to make the cut.

So far my list includes:

Tate Modern
Hampton Court Palace
Madam Tussaud’s
London Eye
British Library
Imperial War Museum
National Gallery
Victoria & Albert
Hamlet – with Jude Law
Waiting for Godot – with Ian McKellen and Patrick
La Cage aux Folles
Les Miserables – perhaps Susan Boyle will sing in it?
visit Abbey Road
Jewish neighborhood – no idea where that is
afternoon tea somewhere posh
Wimbledon – even if Rafa loses
cricket – found a match for only £20
climb Big Ben
Platform 9 ¾
bookstores
take a tour of Jack the Ripper’s murder spots

I met up with a friend from Memphis yesterday. We got some Pizza Express, which didn't live up to its expectations. I'll go back one more time to see if this was a fluke.

Daily superlatives:

Worst part of my day:
The humidity on the Tube.


Best part of my day: Ruthless prioritization.

1 comment: